Vitamin B3 and preventing miscarriage – Caution urged.
What you need to know.
- The Victor Chang Institute is doing some wonderful research into preventing miscarriages.
- They have found clear evidence that Vit B3 can prevent some miscarriages and birth defects in MICE.
- There is currently no definite evidence that this will also prevent miscarriages and birth defects in HUMANS
- High doses of Vit B3 may even be harmful in humans.
- Further research is currently being done and human trials are planned to answer these questions.
- Until the human trials are completed, it is advised that women planning pregnancy or are pregnant should take their usual pregnancy multivitamins including particularly Folate and eat a healthy balanced diet.
- Most of these pregnancy multivitamins already contain a small amount of Vitamin B3
- This is exciting and cutting edge research!
WaverleyGP has a range of skilled doctors that can advise you on all matters of pregnancy planning , conception and delivery including shared care with local specialists.
Please call our friendly reception for more information or to book an appointment.