2019 Influenza Vaccines Now Available
The 2019 Flu vaccines have arrived at WaverleyGP.
The following patients are eligible for the Free flu vaccine-
- All kids from age 6 months to under 5 years old
- All patients over 65 years of age
- Pregnant women (at any stage of preg)
- Anyone with a medical risk of increased complications from contracting the Flu (asthma, diabetes, heart disease etc..)
When to get the jab
The best time to get the flu jab can be difficult to predict because the peak period of flu activity varies year by year.
This is important because research shows the effectiveness of the flu vaccine may begin to wane after three to four months.
It's a trade-off really, between getting the immunity early but not missing peak flu activity
Both the AMA and RACGP say the best time to get the flu shot is towards the middle of April and into the beginning the May.
Please contact WaverleyGP to book into one of our Bulk Billed flu vaccine clinics.
This year there is a new A strain (H3N2) and a new strain for the B Victoria linage. Influenza virus strains included in the 2019 seasonal influenza vaccines are:
- A (H1N1): an A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09 like virus
- A (H3N2): an A/Switzerland/8060/2017 (H3N2) like virus
- B: a B/Colorado/06/2017 like virus (not included in the trivalent vaccine)
- B: a B/Phuket/3073/2013 like virus